Adam W wrote:
on Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 02:22:03PM +1100, Bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

why take delivery of a box with the spam os on it? I bought my last two
boxes without any software at all; and expect to continue

purchasing

that way

Thats my thought too. If they wont sell you a box without and OS go else where.

That's all well and good - but if you wont a decent laptop from a decent
company with a good warranty (like dell provides) then you have to
compromise.

I don't know about you... But I wouldn't be caught buying some no name
laptop that is going to fall apart a day after the warranty expires just
because they wont sell me the machine without the OS I want on it.

Yes your thoughts may be ok when buying a desktop machine - but
certainly not for laptops.

Regards,

AW.

Fair point, but I know of at least one no name laptop which you could buy with no OS, extend the warranty to 3 years (on-site warranty) and still save a couple of hundred dollars over a laptop with M$ installed. It's a no name laptop but with 3 yr warranty, it's gotta be fairly safe.

Also, I thought Dell were starting to offer no-OS machines? Maybe that's just on their servers.

Fil