On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 13 Mar 2003 18:44:49 +1100
> James Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I have some images, they are gifs, and they're approximately 14000
> > pixels square. I'd really like to view them, and ideally perform
> > transformations such as scaling to a less insane size.
>
> I suspect the problem is the uncompressed size
> Assuming they're 24bit, that's 14000 x 14000 x 24/8 = 588,000,000 bytes
> i.e. ~ 588 Mb.  So you might need a Gig of RAM to work on them.
>
> A quick search for a image slicer only turned up windows shareware ...
> but surely there is something for Linux out there somewhere.

libungif, formerly known as giflib might be what you need.
ftp://ftp.ayamura.org/pub/graphics/ has copies of both of them, wheras
they seem to be gone from the primary site.  Could be patent problems?

There's a bunch of utilities in there which require limited memory.  eg
gifrsiz to resize (by simple deletion of pixels I think rather than
averaging over an area).  Also gifburst which will segment the image into
smaller ones.

Incidentally, the main LZW patent expires in June this year.

Andrew