On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, David Fitch wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:52:34 +1030
> From: David Fitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "Broun, Bevan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [SLUG] calling C libs from perl
>
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 04:14:28PM +1100, Broun, Bevan wrote:
> > I can tell you it's in chapter 18 of the "Advanced Perl Programming"
> > Oreilly book. There is some documentation at perl.com.au, "C and Perl" -
> > the first two look like putting perl in C and the next calling C from perl.
> >
> > It would seem that it's worth while buying the Perl CD bookshelf.
>
> ah thanks, got that book already (but only up to chapt 11 so far)
> so it was under my nose all the time!
> I'd seen that XS stuff but assumed it was for calling perl from
> other languages.

Besides using XS directly, you might want to consider using SWIG or h2xs
to generate the XS code, or perhaps you might want to use Inline.pm to
inline your C code into your perl.

All of these approaches can be quite simple when you're dealing with
simple data types at the interface, but get more involved where you need
to work with perl's data types.

Andrew McNaughton