>If you're not using a firewall (or you want to ignore pings from your
local network), 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all' will
do the trick.

Louis> How do I check it there is a firewall installed ? I know how to check
this via the graphical display. This server does have X installed (which I did
last week), but is not exporting the display remotely to me yet via VNC. I
plan to get this fixed soon. I have numerous posts on this in SLUG. Right now
I can only do remote things via ssh.

However I am only interested to download these patches for my server from that
site so that I can install it and move on to other things (like fixing X so
that I can use vnc to connect to the server). But right now it appears I won't
be able to do that until ICMP is enabled again by the Network staff. Right ??

Cheers

Louis.