Hi All,

I haven't been wollowing in depths of sound hell.  Instead, I had a dig
around under my table and knocked together a P133MHz, 128MB ram, 2.5GB
HDD 24x CD-Rom CRAPPER!  I belted Debian onto, # out the security
updates and set about manually installing blackbox, KDE, and alsa...
(pronouced ULCER, no doubt!).

The sound card in the crapper is a CM8330 ISA card, it's on the
supported list at ALSA website.

I ran the following command.

apt-get install alsa-base

I then did as David suggested and reverted to 'sndconfig' which ran, but
also generated errors...  I think I have narrowed the problem down....
there are no sound modules configured on either the CRAPPER or my PC.

The other thing is that I've been given alsa alsa-modules-2.4.20-i386,
but I'm running the 2.2.2o kernel and it has .... you guessed it, umet
dep probs.  What version of alsa should I try instead, remebering that
alsa base is "the newest" according to my apt-getting.

Regards

Mick