OK, I've done some more investigating.

The modem is an Intel 536EP which used to be (I think) Conexant. It is a
'Host Assisted Modem' (HaM).

I installed the standard Intel drivers: they came on a CD with the
hardware. There is a free driver (open source) and a proprietary driver
(binary only). I compiled the source and installed both drivers.

I've checked all the diagnostic information output under XP and typed
the same commands under Redhat, with basically the same results. In
particualr, AT+GCI? gives 09 in both cases (i.e. the modem knows it is
in Australia). The results from AT+GCI=? were shorter, perhaps because
the Linux driver is a later version than the XP driver.

I've also taken the commands from the XP modem log and typed them into
minicom. Everything is OK until I do ATDT.... and then under XP I
connect and under Redhat I get NO CARRIER

I think it's going back at the weekend. Even if there is some way I can
get it working in theory, I don't have the time to find out in practice.

Regards,
Martin