On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 07:07:20PM +1000, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> I have tried cutting the source list down to one line, and it still does
> the same thing. Besides that my desktop machine has more sources than
> you could poke a stick at and it never segfaults..!!
>
> Any other ideas??

strace apt-get update

and see what the last few things are output.

Speculating - maybe your cached deb database was
corrupted (say by a neutrino hitting one of your memory
bits) and saved to disk in a state which causes apt-get
to try and access memory outside that allocated to it
(i.e. segfault)

This would be fixed by rebuilding your deb database,
with apt-something or dpkg-something.

cheers,
Woody