Chaps,

Thanks so much for the useful tips. Yesterday I was feeling optimistic
and I tried exactly what I described in my email (that's right, no
previous backup apart from used data). What the HP recovery software
did is erase my brand new small NTFS partition, then create its own big
one. At least, I was happy to see my system running fine after the full
re-install, with all my hardware working properly.

Prior to that, I had run the recovery utility without first erasing my
partition. The recovery utility tried to do a non destructive recovery
(by overwriting all the factory files) instead of the full recovery I
ended up doing. This makes me wonder what makes the utility decide
between a full recovery with partition and the light one, but that's a
different story.

I can see different options now:

1. Linux-only system. What the hell, I'm losing interest in all this
Microsoft-like tricks and after all I have other Windows machines, lots
file conversion filters and Wine.

2. Now that my system is extra clean, try to repartition (without
losing the info) with one of your proposed solutions. This is surely
the easiest way to have the dual setup (if it works), and I may be
investigating it.

3. Try to fool this recovery utility (by installing a basic XP from
somewhere in a new NTFS partition) so it tries the light recovery
instead of the full one. I suspect this can be very difficult, as it
may be checking the integrity of some HP specific stuff (config and ID
files?) to decide the kind of recovery.

4. Try to fool this recovery utility into thinking that the hard disk
has, say, half the cylinders it has. I'm sure this can be done by
putting an inexpensive EPLD between the motherboard and the hard disk,
so it answers a different number when asked about its geometry.Really
tricky, and still the software in the partition may have been done so
it can only be used with a certain HD size (rather stupid).

..I don't want to make a whole project out of this, so I may try 1 or
2, but this stories really piss me off. Thanks for your help, more on
my progress to come..

Cheers,

Alex

 Vodafone te ofrece el primer servicio de mensajería instantánea con
todo lo que hasta ahora te ofrecía un messenger clásico, ahora también
desde tu móvil. Comunicate o haz nuevos amigos estés donde estés (Web,
WAP o SMS), entra en Vodafone Messenger:
http://www.vodafone.es/vodafonemessenger y envía ahora todos los SMS
que quieras a tus amigos gratis desde la web.