Many thanks for the help.

I located the hotplug rpms on the installation disks (there
are two:hotplug and gtk_hotplug---this latter, I presume,
is the front end for the other).

Both have been installed.

I'm unsure how to proceed now. There's nothing on the desktop
(or in the applications list) to indicate that hotplug is
present or running.

The next logical step is to see whether the CD burner has
been mounted at the USB bus. I don't *expect* the burner to
be rejected (it's a common enough brand), so I should be able
either to issue a command or click on an icon to view to the
contents of a CD that I've placed in the burner. If I can do that
I guess I can assume that all is well thus far.

Could someone tell me how to go about doing this, please?

Regards,

Bill Bennett.