Luke,

> Freeswan seems the obvious solution, but there is little docco to
> indicate how I configure it for maximum interoperability. Let alone
> interop with other free software.
>
> I also thought "isn't IPsec meant to be a standard?" Shouldn't I be
> able to use that?
>
> What do people recommend for this stuff? I'm operating a bit in the
> dark ... having only used CheckPoint at work.

Considering you want windows to connect to the server I'd be looking at
one of these two solutions:

http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-x509.php

Or

http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html

I couldn't get any of these working - trying to get the latest freeswan
compiled on mandrake was just beyond me... The RPMS were broken etc etc

Good Luck,

AW.