After going to the pub, I made it home and quickly had a look. Sure enough, no
c++ compiler was installed. There was a common compiler as well as g++, but
g++ sounds good, so I've gone with that. The version showed with the command
you suggested after I had installed it. So I'm letting it configure while I
sleep and hopefully it will be ready for me to have fun with  make next.

Thanks

Rob T