Just thought I'd let people know that the solution to my problem with
rpm/apt-get complaining that:

    # rpm -i freetype-2.0.3-7.i386.rpm
    file /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6.0.1 from install of freetype-2.0.3-7 conflicts
       with file from package freetype2-2.0.3-1

had a very simple solution.  As James Gregory suggested, a force install
can easily be backed out (well, in this case), by making sure that the
current rpm is to hand to force back in if there's a problem.

So in the end all I had to do was:

    rpm -i --force freetype-2.0.3-7.i386.rpm

to replace the weird version of libfreetype.so.6.0.1.  All is now
working well, and the beautiful apt-get is once more working fine on my
RH system.

As far as I can see, using apt-get on RH means you can get
functionality as good or better than up2date -i without being tied to
the RH network service.

FWIW, I'll just mention you can get apt-get at
ftp://ftp.conectiva.com/pub/conectiva/.0/EXPERIMENTAL/apt/
and there's a long interesting article comparing apt and rpm
(perhaps it would be fairer if it were comparing apt and up2date)
at http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/192/, and there's a
wonderful GUI front-end to it called synaptic available from
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh80/synaptic/synaptic-0.36.1-0_3.80at.i386.rpm?info

I just did "apt-get install synaptic" and then ran synaptic.
It's working beautifully.

I believe apt-get and synaptic are largely (completely?) the work of
Alfredo Kojima, the creator of the Window Maker window manager.

I just had a browse for available stuff using synaptic and found lots of
neat things to grab (like nedit, quake3, lame, MagicPoint and more).

Not only that, it All Just Worked.

luke