<quote who="Andrew McNaughton">

> It's quite straight-forward to implement a DNS cache on linux -- run bind
> on the box.  Isn't this going in circles?  For some reason people wanted
> to get the cache off the box.
>
> Personally I haven't found that removing bind gives a performance benefit
> (quite the opposite), but different systems use resources in different
> combinations, so YMMV.

Yes, Oscar suggested removing BIND, but it doesn't make sense to me. It's
not that CPU/disk intensive when being used as a cache, so removing it is
more than likely just going to increase mail spool queue times, rather than
alleviate resources to allow the MTA to work better.

If BIND is running as an authoritative DNS server for a very busy domain,
it's a different kettle of fish. But I couldn't imagine that being the case
from the original email.

- Jeff

--
Get Informed: SCO vs. IBM                            http://sco.iwethey.org/