At 09:04 AM 30/06/2003, you wrote:
<snip>
>Now that the machine has a proper IP/hostname, I wanted to re-register it
>with RHN, but , it fails with:
>
>----
>rhn-register
>
>                    A socket error occured: (110, 'Connection timed out'),
>attem
>pt #1
>A socket error occured: (110, 'Connection timed out'), attempt #2
>A socket error occured: (110, 'Connection timed out'), attempt #3
>A socket error occured: (110, 'Connection timed out'), attempt #4

I have also had a problem recently with rhn-register, on a new install of Redhat 7.1, I believe that the problem in my case (I can't remember if it is the exact same, but I seem to remember it being very similar) was an incorrect date/time on the box. Additionally, you may find that up2date + rhn-register may not work without being significantly updated anyway, (and about 12 other dependencies besides). YMMV

After a few alternative approaches to updating the system (eg: downloading updated up2date rpm's + dependencies) I gave up (it was only installed that day so nothing to loose) and am today downloading/installing gentoo (www.gentoo.org) (over a modem, should be interesting...)

Brett