Greetings,
I am currently attempting to install Gentoo, over a modem, using Redhat boot disks (Gentoo doesn't have a boot disk option as yet, though some poeple have had success in building Gentoo using other distro bootdisks (slackware/redhat)). I am trying to bootstrap the distro ("bootstrap.sh"), however, due to a buggy motherboard/BIOS the build is failing due to incorrect time (the hardware clock will not keep dates after Y2K, the clock is reset to 1994 dates after every reboot).

The redhat bootdisk I am using has a program "clock" but I am not sure of the exact argument format to pass to set the clock to a reasonable time. An example is as follows:

{
# clock --set --date=01012003
BusyBox v0.60.5 (2003.01.24-24:44+0000) muti-call library

Usage: date [OPTION]... [+FORMAT]

The date command issues by hwclock returned with unexpected results.
The command was:
        date --date="01012003" +seconds-into-epoch=%s
The response was
No usable set-to time. cannot set clock.
}

Redhat uses Busybox as part of their boot disk image(as above?), unfortunately busybox does not have documentation for the clock command (http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html)

Output of "clock --help" (of which I can be bothered to type...):
{
Usage hwclock [function] [options...]

Funtions:
--help ...
--show ...
--set set the rtc to the time given with --date
--hctosys ...
--systobc ...
--getepoch print out the kernel hardware clock epoch value
--setepoch set the kernel hardware clock epoch value to the value given with --epoch
--version ...

--utc ...
--localtime ...
--direction ...
--badyear Ignores rtc's year because the bios is broken
--date specifies the time to which to set the hardware clock
--epoch=year specifies the year which is the beginning of the hardware clock's epoch value
--noadjfile ...
}

I have also tried the following (where XX is a time/number):
{
#clock --badyear
/var/lib/lastdate: No such file or directory
#echo Wed Jul 6 11:11:11 2003 -0.175775 seconds >lastdate
#clock --badyear
Wed Jul 6 XX:XX:XX 1994 -0.175775
}
But that doesn't seem to work either (and gives no reason why it shouldn't)

Please, somebody put me out of my misery, I don't want to have to re-install redhat :-)

Brett