Craig Warner:

> Don't whether that to legislate for Open Source could be productive or
> counter productive.  Like most legislation, the meaning and purpose could
> be lost in the wording.

Yeah, between the SA Dems and the Federal Dems, this is going to be an
interesting area of debate over the next 12 months.

Personally, I'm fiercely opposed to enforced government use of FOSS, though
I think there are a number of areas that improved legislation will be a win
for everyone, but a particularly huge win for us. Examples: Preference for
open standards, merit-based procurement policies, etc.

I'm glad you brought this up; Linux Australia now has a private list for
feedback from LUG representatives, and I've just brought up this topic. If
anyone would like to comment on it, I'll summarise for the LA dudes.

Thanks,

- Jeff (taking to slug, was on slug-chat)

    "Gah. Out of coffee. Shall think whilst auto-caffeinating." - Telsa
                                   Gwynne