Hi,

Last weekend I upgraded my system to RedHat 9 (from 7.1 which was a clean install). Shortly after that I installed a few more packages without problems. Then about Wednesday I tried to install some package, and rpm hung. After waiting about half an hour, I killed the process, which resulted in a corrupt RPM database. I spent considerable time in trying to recover the database (usually by moving one of the database files, and getting RPM to rebuild it), however every time I got a working database (by which I mean I could do queries on the database), I found that I still could not add packages. So I thought that there must be even more corruption that the rebuild wasnt fixing, so I

* made a listing of all rpms installed,
* moved the entire /var/lib/rpm directory to another location,
* created a new /var/lib/rpm directory,
* created a new rpm database
* installed the existing rpms from my list into the database (using --justdb)

However - still no luck. Once again I have a database I can query, however I cannot install to it:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] RedHat]# rpm -i rh9RPMS/unixODBC-2.2.3-6.i386.rpm warning: rh9RPMS/unixODBC-2.2.3-6.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e

(hanging for over 10 minutes so far). In another window:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] andrewm]$ ps -elf | egrep "[r]pm|[2]9509|[P]ID"
F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD
4 S root 29509 29455 0 77 0 - 1938 schedu 13:38 pts/0 00:00:00 rpm -i rh9RPMS/unixODBC-2.2.3-6.i386.rpm

It has actually done the install (but I don't know about any post install scripts), as I can see the files that are in that package are now installed on my hard drive.

Any ideas what is going wrong / what I can do to fix this?

Regards, Andrew