On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 00:02, Peter Hardy wrote:
> So Libranet 2.8 has recently been released, and the SMH have reviewed
> it.
>
> http://smh.com.au/articles/2003/07/02/1056825439033.html
>
> Fairly glowing review, but I get the impression that somebody new to
> Linux would be slightly confounded by all of the names the reviewer
> seems to toss out constantly with little or no explanation.

I've been using Libranet since their version 2.7 came out, and I happily
paid to upgrade to 2.8. 2.8 is based on Debian testing, with some stuff
from unstable thrown in, resulting in a system that was very current
when released, and is relatively simple to keep up to date from unstable
branch. For example, I was able to upgrade Evolution from 1.2.4 which
shipped with Libranet to 1.4 without any drama, although it seems
updating Mozilla might not be quite as easy.

There are nice touches throughout, such as good font support all around
Not only KDE and Gnome but Mozilla and IceWM use ant-aliased fonts out
of the box, MS fonts can be installed with one click from Adminmenu, as
can Flash and Java. Even kernel compilation becomes a one-click
operation - well, apart from the actual kernel options, of course. But
Adminmenu takes care of all the rest, including creating new entry in
Grub for the new kernel. Very, very nice.
My HP printer was detected and set up, cd burner works, USB camera works
- in fact, everything works. I also appreciate the scripts they included
for downloading/installing those codecs and libraries that actually make
mplayer useful. And Libranet mailing list is quite friendly and helpful.

Libranet isn't aimed at complete newbies perhaps, but it's great for
anyone wanting a system that is basically pure Debian yet is also
modern, easy to install and to use, and doesn't mind spending a few
bucks for that convenience.