On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 06:38, Ron Daniel wrote:
>  Great. Here I sit, stuck in the world of M$ writing this email cause I
> just upgraded to 9.1 Somebody should have told me about the descent
> (downgrade) on the other side.

The first three times I tried to install Debian (Redhat and SuSE before)
I failed.  It was frustrating, but each time I learned some more from
exposure, and I've ultimately succeeded.  Now I expect such each time I
try something new, and I'm prepared for it.

I have a laptop too, and I would like to recommend an approach I use (it
works with desktop systems too).

I have a Thinkpad, and a carrier that goes in the replaceable drive bay
(they call it the Ultrabay).  I also bought a second hard drive,
identical to the one that came with it.

My standard backup is:

1) Boot on Tom's rootboot disk (so the main OS and it's files are not
involved in the process).
2) "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=16384k".  This makes a complete image
of the hard disk to the backup disk.
(Note: I actually use "date; dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=16384k; date"
so I can time it.)
3) Go to bed.  (My 20G drive takes 2 hours and 40 minutes)

If something goes wrong otherwise, I can physically swap the disks and
be up and running right back where I was.  I can experiment with a new
distro or upgrade, and guarantee access to my old system within minutes.

I can do it selectively:
"dd if=/dev/hda7 of=/dev/hdc7 bs=xxxxx" to just backup my /home
partition so I have up-to-the-minute copies of my emails or the changes
to my VMware images.

The value in "bs=xxx" doesn't seem to affect the time it takes to do the
backup.

The main approach even copies the partition info, which I periodically
juggle with PartitionMagic as I tune my system (and slowly but steadily
shrink the Window$ partitions).

Occasionally I use "cp -au whatever wherever" to just update some of the
files quickly.  I think rsync does this too, but I haven't looked into
it yet.  Only dd gets the partition info and bootloader across.

I don't know of anything that can cost-effectively back up a 40G HD
besides another 40G HD.  And that "2 minute swap drives and be in
business again" aspect is good for my digestion and blood pressure.

You could split a drive in two as well and use this technique, but then
a restore would require reversing the dd, so you lose the 2 minute
restore aspect.

Cheers,
Bret

bwaldow at alum.mit.edu