wipe or shred will do it. you'd need to stick the disk into another machine say as the first device on the secondary ide channel (assuming ide). then: wipe /dev/hdc will sanitize the disk. it'll also can your mbr, so you'll need to start from scratch afterwars.

lots of hassle for something. the easiest way is to create a boot floppy or cd with fdisk on it. fdisk the disk re-create partitions/filesystems and everything should be fine. you may also want to recreate the mbr on the disk.

brett

Dan Banyard wrote:
Hi,

Recently my linux box was hacked.  I re-installed the OS but I am still
having problems with the machine.  At this stage I am unsure whether these
problems are due a hardware or software issue.

I would like to totally wipe the hard disk and start again just in case the
hackers have left any files.  There seems to be loads of disk wiping
utilities for Windows but I cannot see a way in which I can totally wipe the
disk.  Does anyone know of a utility or command?

Also does anyone know of a hardware checking facility?  I am using SuSE 7.2.
I am getting to the stage when I am considering junking the whole machine,
but this seems a real waste.  Comments from anyone who has been hacked on
what they did?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

-- Brett Fenton General Manager NetRegistry Pty Ltd _______________________________________________

http://www.netregistry.com.au/

Tel: +61 2 96996099  |  Fax: +61 2 96996088
PO Box 270 Broadway  |  NSW 2007, Australia

Your Total Internet Business Services Provider
Trusted by 10,000s of Oz Businesses Since 1997

This email is from NetRegistry Pty Ltd. The contents of this message are commercial and in confidence to the intended addresseee.

The message may contain copyrighted and/or legally priviledged information. No person or entity other than the intended recipient may read, print or store this message, including any and all attached files.

The intended recipient may not forward this message to any third party without express written permission from NetRegistry Pty Ltd.