On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 16:53, Benjamin de Waal wrote:

>   To try to simplify matters before I asked for help, my wireless network is
> ad-hoc with WEP completely off.  I'd like to turn WEP back on once I'm set
> up obviously, but just for initial setup, I thought it'd be prudent to leave
> it off.

Hi,

Ok, you have a wireless PCMCIA adapter in your laptop, and it's an
ad-hoc network.  Half of your local network is wire, half wireless...

What is the access point it's using (or that you're intending)?  A card
in your desktop system?  Not a gateway/router, or you wouldn't be using
ad-hoc...?

Can you describe more of what is between the Internet and your laptop
(assuming you want to access the net from the laptop itself)?  What
other machines are in your home network?  Which ones are wired to which
ones?  Are you running a DHCP server on one, or are all intended to have
static IPs?

Cheers,
Bret
bwaldow at alum.mit.edu