On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 11:34, Lyle Chapman wrote:
> Sorry one more question to annoy everybody with, I have installed a new
> 80gb seagate drive and the problem is when I copy something to or from
> it I am getting a woeful 3 mb/sec transfer speed.
>
> I ran hdparm -Tt /dev/hda and the result was the cache access was
> reporting the right speed but disk access was 3.5meg/sec (pathetic)
>
> I ran hdparm again and turned all the go faster bits on, this increased
> it to 5.5 meg/sec.
>
> Although I did notice that I get a DMA error in hdparm when trying to
> turn DMA on.
>
> Any ideas anyone, thanks?

I have just fixed this on my Mandrake 9.1 system (kernel 2.4.21). It
ended up that I had to add my drive's model number (ST360015A) to the
drive_whitelist in /usr/src/linux/drivers/ide/ide-dma.c and recompile
the kernel (after checking that it wasn't in the drive_blacklist or
bad_dma_drives list for good reason).

All is well with DMA now. Hope it works for you.

Cheers,

John...