On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 14:16, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> XFS is a long-standing filesystem that has been used on OS/2 and IRIX. It is
> especially good for high throughput applications, such as media work (which
> is not surprising given SGI's market). Metadata only journalling, scales
> incredibly well with multiple CPUs (even under 2.4) and includes POSIX ACLs
> (even under 2.4), which are kind of cool if you're using recent versions of
> SAMBA and serving up to Windows PCs. XFS also supports a realtime partition
> type, which is designed to guarantee very high throughput rates for the most
> demanding applications (though it will be a while before this is fully
> supported in Linux).

Right, and since XFS is meta-data journalling (like reiser), you have no
more protection of data integrity than with reiserfs. I have reiser on
my laptop, and xfs on my desktop machine. As you can image, the laptop
loses power far more often than the desktop machine does, yet I haven't
been able to find a situation where I've been able to convince reiser to
randomly fill my files with NULL characters. I can't say the same for
XFS, which has trashed a postgres database, my modules.conf file, my
initrd.img file, and other useful files. I can't tell you how happy I am
that my home directory is mounted on NFS these days.

Your assertions about XFS having recovery tools are right though - I
hear they're very good, but I've never used them. I can see that that's
a compelling reason to choose XFS. It has been my experience though that
reiser has handled the more garden-variety power failures far better
than XFS.

Just my experiences - I've not run either on SMP boxes or as an NFS
server.

James.