Check out the cups framework for starters.  Probably once you get going
you'll have questions, but they're not the same ones you have now.

KDE provides wizards for most of the setup.  Gnome very likely does also.

linuxprinting.org has PPD files (printer description files) for most
printers, and forums where people discuss lots of printing stuff.

Andrew

--

No added Sugar.  Not tested on animals.  May contain traces of Nuts.  If
irritation occurs, discontinue use.

Andrew McNaughton           In Sydney
                            Working on a Product Recommender System
[EMAIL PROTECTED]