Hi,

I come from a background of Windows, where things like I'm asking about
weren't really part of the design.  In Windows, I used NetMeeting to
support my Dad when I was Down Under and he was still back in the
States.

Now we're using GNU/Linux, which apparently (like Unix) inherently
networks.  I, however, don't know how to do it here.  I'll do the RTFM,
and ask better questions.  But first, I need to know what to R about.

I mean how do I do these things:
1) Run a program on someone else's machine.  Both console and X.
2) Show them a program I'm running on mine.  Both console and X.
3) Do it securely over the Internet.
4) Transfer files (besides attaching to email).  Do I need to set up an
ftp server on both machines?
5) Can I do 1, 2, and 3 for more than one person (I'm the Alpha Geek in
my family).

Thanks for pointers on what to bother reading about.

Cheers,
Bret

--
bwaldow at alum dot mit dot edu