the short instructions for Courier state:

--------
INSTALLATION

   To  compile  and  install  the  Courier-IMAP server (this is the short
   version, a longer version follows):

$ ./configure [ options, see below ]
$ make
$ make check       # Note - the --enable-workarounds-for-imap-client-bugs
                   # option to configure will result in make check FAILING.
$ su root
# make install     # Or, make install-strip, to strip the executables.
# make install-configure   # Install configuration files.

                   # Start the authdaemond process
--------

later on, it suggests:

--------
   You  should  try  make  install-strip  first. Use make install if make
   install-strip fails.
--------

as it is, I have run the make install, *NOT* make install-strip
 (succesfully, I think...)

so, can I re-run PARTS of it ? such as, the last two only:

make install-strip
make install-configure

OR, must I re run the whole lot ..?
can I re-run the whole lot, or , should I untar and start again ?

Voytek Eymont