On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:03:02PM +1000, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:

> Have you also got a ntp.conf for the client machines?

ntp is both client and server.  The config I posted last night is from
a local machine which is a client of the upstream hosts, and acts as a
server to our internal hosts.  Internal hosts are simply pointed at
this server, e.g.:

    # default is no access
    restrict default ignore
    # time server(s) are trusted for time but can't change the config
    server time.vastsystems.com.au
    restrict 192.168.1.1 nomodify
    # local hosts aren't trusted and can't change the config (but can
    # use this host as a time server)
    restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrust
    # localhost can do anything
    restrict 192.168.1.10
    restrict 127.0.0.1
    #
    driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    authenticate no

As the documentation says, a client is simply a server with no
dependents.

> I'm also interested in controlling which IPs/interfaces ntpd listens on, any
> ideas?

I don't think you can do this without patching the source.

Cheers,

John
--
whois [EMAIL PROTECTED]