On Sun, Aug 10, 2003, Brad Kowalczyk wrote:
> exactly. Why people still think they can use user agent strings to get
> an accurate indication of the percentage market share for the
> different browsers out there is beyond me. Unfortunately I think a lot
> of non IE browsers are calling themselves IE. If I remember correctly
> the default setting in Opera 7.1 is to identify itself as IE?? Not
> sure about Mozilla.

Not by default, nor does any other Gecko browser I've used (Galeon,
Epiphany) do this. There's a Mozilla Evangelism sidebar somewhere that
makes it easy to change the User-Agent string if you want to. (Since the
Evangelism folks are behind it, I suspect the aim is to be able to mail
people and say "Mozilla can render your site if it pretends it is IE, so
why not drop the browser check?")

-Mary