Gentlepeople,

Although I have found a work around to this problem, I would still like
to know why it doesn't work properly, and why my work around works when
it prints a message on my terminal saying authentication failed!

So:

(1)  When I click the menu item "GDM Configurator", I get an error
dialog saying:

"You must be the superuser (root) to configure GDM".

I am not offered any way of entering a root password before I get this
error.  This happens on a number of menu items so I would like to fix
the root cause of the problem rather than working around it all the
time.

(2)  I found the program to run by inspecting the menu item properties.

(a)  After logging into GDM as me (a user) I then logged into a terminal
session as root and tried to run the command.  I got the error message:

"Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:".

There is a way to specify the display, and I added "--display=:0" (which
I got from the display environment variable), but now I get the errors:

"Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server"

and

"Xlib: client is not authorised to connect to server".

Doesn't root have permission access this user initiated server?  How can
I connect as root?

(b)  So I tried su'ing the command directly: "su -c gdmconfig".  This
prompted me for a password.  I entered the root password and voila, the
GDM Configurator started in spite of the following error:

"GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager: Authentication
Rejected, reason: None of the authentication protocols are supported and
host-based authentication failed."

I was still able to enable the session menu so I could shutdown my
machine from the GDM login screen.  And it was there and worked the next
time I got to the GDM login screen.

Clearly the error is a warning and obviously not cataclysmic, but it all
makes me feel I don't understand what is going on (I don't) so if anyone
can help, it would be much appreciated.

Brendan