On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 20:25, Stuart Guthrie wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've used a utility to get a CallLog.dat file from my mobile phone.
> Naturally I'm curious to parse it but it's all icky hex.
>

> Does anyone know what utilities are available in Linux to start pulling
> it apart?

So, I've recently been playing with h4xxing the wire protocol of the
digital phone system at work. It's all good fun. Mostly I've just been
using ethereal to see the conversation between the server and its
clients and a bit of guesswork. I started writing a script in python to
pretend to be a client, and it works ok -- Andrew Bennetts told me about
the struct module which makes life a bit easier.

But yeah, genereally you start out by generating a file with some data
you know has to be in it -- for example making 5 calls to the same
number at minutely intervals or something. Then, there's a good chance
that you'll see the same data (some representation of the number you
rang) repeated at regular intervals, which gives you an idea of how big
the "rows" are in your log file. Then you can start looking at these
rows on their own. Also, look for things that look like lengths --
binary protocols often need them, and they tend to be at the start of
"things".

In terms of tools, hexedit is good, python is good, gcc is good.

> CIA

Don't they already do this stuff? :)

James.