On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 20:03, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Voytek Eymont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > what did i stuff up..?
> > >
> > > # ./backmysql.sh
> > > bash: ./backmysql.sh: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied
> >
> > dos2unix backmysql.sh
>
> Also I recommend you make a habit of using #!/bin/sh - may not matter for
> you just now, but it's important for compatibility across different unix
> systems.
>
> * On at least some linux distributions, /bin/sh is usually (and
> peculiarly) provided as a hard link to bash, but on many systems sh is a
> much lighter executable without all the stuff for interactive use.
>
> * Most non-linux systems don't have a file at /bin/bash.  /bin/sh will
> always be there.

Then you can code this in your if statements

if [ -f $FILENAME ] ; then
fi

And it will not work.   This is not valid /bin/sh scripts, because most
systems actually use ksh or bash you think you are safe and then you
need to move it and it does not work.

This is a little more complex.  Don't do this unless it is necessary.

--
Thanks
KenF