Hi Bill,

ADSL as the technician advised use copper line and is not good
with RIM. ADSL is digital (ISDN technology) from exchange to your home
using copper lines.  RIM is analog to digital at exchange, then trasmitted
over fibre, and then digital to analog at distribution box in your area
where
your phone is now connected. Two different 'last mile' technologies.

Suppliers of phone services prefer RIM as it is easier to install, simpler
by technology, and less costly to maintain. But as far as internet customers
are concerned  there are two major disadvantages. First, when you
connect to your ISP using 56Kbps modem your best download rate is
33Kbps because you lose speed at the two points of conversion. One
at the exchange and another at the distribution box. Secondly, you
cannot have your phone line and ADSL on the same line as ADSL
uses ISDN technology,  which is digital transmission on copper.

Now, that you have your phone(s) on RIM, when ADSL is installed
it will hang off copper lines and you end with two independent lines.
The simplest would have been ADSL and your phone to hang off
the same copper lines. Of course you can always ask to transfer
your phone line to hang off the same copper lines as your ADSL
which should have been done in the first place except that your
ADSL supplier and your phone supplier do not talk to each other
and would not be able coordinate the work and the type of connection.

What I will do if I were in your situation is phone your ADSL
supplier ASAP and advise of the situation. I'm pretty sure they
can help as you have contracted them to supply the service and
I assume they have accepted or committed.

Good luck.

Oscar Plameras
http://www.acay.com.au/~oscarp/disclaimer.html