I'm staring at the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf but I'm somewhat at loss how to read
it, all I want is the default read community (which used to be 'public')

relevant part of snmpd.conf is:

-----
# First, map the community name "public" into a "security name"

#       sec.name  source          community
com2sec notConfigUser  default       public

####
# Second, map the security name into a group name:

#       groupName      securityModel securityName
group   notConfigGroup v1           notConfigUser
group   notConfigGroup v2c           notConfigUser

####
# Third, create a view for us to let the group have rights to:

#       name           incl/excl     subtree         mask(optional)
view    systemview     included      system

####
# Finally, grant the group read-only access to the systemview view.

#       group          context sec.model sec.level prefix read   write  notif
access  notConfigGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  systemview none none

-----

so, which is the string I need to use instead of 'public' ?
'systemview' ? 'com2sec' ? ?
I've tried most of above strings with no success so far...

Voytek Eymont