I have been trying to set up a RH7.3 web/mail server.

Apache and MySQL worked with just minor config hickups (lack of php-mysql
support, that is apparently a well known problem with RH (according to a
readme))

Apache and MySQL are now in production, and, work well

but I have struck a number of 'strange' and unrelated problems, such as:

- changing user's passwd on command line crashes the passwd utility;
workaround: use Webmin; solution: unresolved

- unable to compile CourierIMAP, corrupt file in gcc; solution: reinstall
gcc

- unable to access Postfix's SMTP 25 externally; solution: reinstall
Postfix

this leads me to think that there is something seriously flawed with
this system, and unless I 'do something' soon, this server will bite my
backside at the time I least need it.

as I saw on the list, SLUG was searching for a topic for the next meeting,
so, I thought maybe I'll bring this machine as worthwile project ? ;)>

seriously though:

I guess I should reinstall the operating system itself, at the very least,
and, the other stuff can be re-installed if and when needed.

thus I need some pointers and suggestions on re-installing

this is a RH73 with all relevant 'up2date' installed

do I boot from RH7.3 CD, select 'UPGRADE', DESELECT apps, following
completion run 'up2date' ?

OR ?

RH 'upgrade' preservers all /etc and /home, as far as I know?

Voytek Eymont