On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 03:44:09PM +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> Debian stable contains xpdf-reader Version: 1.00-3 and that is what I
> have currently installed. I have just pulled down xpdf version 2.02 from
> foolabs.com and compiled it. It works fine but I have not yet done 'make
> install'.
>
> Whats the procedure in Debian with regards to the packaging system when
> you install a more up to date version that isn't available in apt-get ?
> I can just remove the existing xpdf-reader but are there other options?

See if you can get a backport of the unstable version.  There's a versioned
dependency (on libfreetype6) which will break an attempt to build it direct.

Aaah, bugger it, just go to http://www.hezmatt.org/~mpalmer/backports and
pick up the debs from there.  Impromptu backport.  If it breaks, tell me all
about it so I can have a good laugh, but don't expect support.  All the
other dependencies can be satisfied from stable with apt-get.  No, I'm not
going to do an apt-get repository for it.  I won't be leaving the packages
there permanently.

Basically, installing things outside of the package management system into
anywhere other than /usr/local will annoy the hell out of dpkg.  It's best
to keep everything within the packaging system, because that way you can
track everything easily, and satisfy dependencies - and building debian
packages is pretty simple.  But you can always put stuff into /usr/local,
and play with equivs and symlinks to satisfy dependencies if necessary.

- Matt