* Adam Bogacki ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>  (Missing character set "ISO8859-1")
> Warning: gnucash_style_set_register...(): Cannot load font:
> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*
>
> I'd also like to load ISO8859-1 font to give me Polish accents ...

Hey Adam,

1) Get more fonts. My dpkg --get-selections shows

                  xfonts-100dpi              install
                  xfonts-75dpi               install
                  xfonts-75dpi-transcoded          install
                  xfonts-a12k12              install
                  xfonts-artwiz              install
                  xfonts-base             install
                  xfonts-cjk              deinstall
                  xfonts-cmex-big5p          install
                  xfonts-cyrillic               install
                  xfonts-efont-unicode          install
                  xfonts-gimpers             deinstall
                  xfonts-greek-ph-75dpi            install
                  xfonts-greek-ph-scalable         install
                  xfonts-intl-arabic            install
                  xfonts-intl-european          install
                  xfonts-intl-phonetic          install
                  xfonts-pex              install
                  xfonts-scalable               install
                  xfonts-terminus               install
                  xfs-xtt                                         install

2) the 'ucs' package (not debian) adds many of the extra glyphs needed for
European and other languages to the fixed font.

Ucs can be obtained from http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html, and if
you run one of the included scripts will break down the huge unicode fixed font
into separate encodings, which is helpful if you want to read or write in just
part of the total set.

3) Add the ucs font directory to your XF86Config-4 as in:-

Section "Files"
   RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ucs/"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
   FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
   FontPath     "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"

I've put the ucs directory where the other fonts are
in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts, but put the directory at the top of the files section so
that
its version on the fonts is selected first by the font server.

4) Run 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales' and add locales like en_AU-UTF-8 or
en_US-UTF8 as well as pl_PL and pl_PL-UTF8. You probably have en_AU or en_US at
the moment as your locale.  (Check with 'locale'). You may well wish to keep it
that way, but when you write in Polish you could start an xterm (or better,
uxterm) and type 'LANG=pl_PL' to get a Polish environment just in that
terminal.

This set-up works OK for me, with one minor glitch. Realplayer doesn't like the
helvetica font which ucs provides. So to start up rvplayer, I get rid of the
ucs fonts by temporarily blocking them out with 'xset -fp
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ucs'. Start rvplayer and then restore the ucs
directory by reissuing the command with a plus sign '+fp'.

I think that's more to do with Realplayer being non-free and RH-centric, rather
that with the actual font set-up I have.

Czesc,

Mykolaj (accents omitted).