On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 02:30:02PM +1000, David wrote:

> 1: what is the thinking about running apt-get update, upgrade as a cron in
> order to make sure that I don't miss any security updates?

just make sure your sources.list only has security lines.
main lines are ok as well on stable as nothing is meant to change.
but any other third party or unstable/testing sources and you may wake up t
to find stuff broken :)

> 2: how do I figure out the version number of ssh.... there doesn't seem to
> be a -v option of anything equally sensible :(

you probably want sshd -V

> 3: how hard it is to mirror the security changes locally so I can avoid
> downloading them for each box. Is there a how-to?

There is apt-proxy - bit strange to setup at first.
useful once it works.