On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Joel Heenan wrote:

> Slug,
>
> I was going to upgrade my redhat 7.2 system to redhat 9 because I was under
> the impression that no more rpms were being built  this version of redhat
> (as it says on http://valhalla.freshrpms.net/ ). Then with all the ssh stuff
> I ran apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and it found new ssh packages and
> installed them!
>
> I am only interested in updating the system so it doesn't get r00ted, does
> anyone know what the deal is whether security packages are still being built
> and for how much longer? Do I need to upgrade or should I just keep checking
> the freshrpms website to see if they have stopped building packages for my
> system?

Whilst the future of official RedHat RPMS may be in question there's
definitely no stopping people continuing to support RedHat 7.3 for a long
time to come. It has a very large installed base and well if people feel
the urge to fix it, it will be fixed.

EG for a long time Anthony at the office was unofficially maintaining ssh
rpm's for RedHat 6.2 (it never came with it as this was before openssh)
and distributed with each new batch of the 'EverythingLinux Bleeding Edge
RedHat 6.2' CDR's.