If it crashes before 'init' starts then it's not Debian specific and I
could possibly help out if I'm not going to Newcastle instead. I'll know
this arvo. I won't be there till after 6pm though.

Basically ... copy a kernel into /boot somewhere and possibly make an
initrd image then adjust the boot loader config so you have that as an
option. I don't know what PowerBook's use but I'd imagine something
possibly like lilo or grub, hopefully more like grub so you can play with
the options at boot time without adjusting the config.

--
Electronic Hobyist, Former Arcadia BBS nut, Occasonal nudist,