Thank you very much for your analysis Patrick. Much appreciated. Just to clarify the
points you have raised.

The login screen is the gnome graphical login, where one types a user name, then
password to use the computer.
I believe the hostname of the computer is being set by the modem, as when I
disconected this computer from the modem and connected another, the name of the other
computer is imposed upon this one when I reconnect it.

Only one computer is ever connected to the modem at one time. I'm not trying to
network many computers, just have a nice, fast & reliable net connection.

The modem is something called a Motorola 'surfboard' and it claims on it's box that it
is a 'cable modem' (I'm being careful here as I am well out of my depth with
networking and hardware - this is both)

The laptop was certainly called 'debian' being the default on installation of the
debian distro.
Gnoppix http://www.gnoppix.org (The Gnome based Knoppix) calls itself 'credativ'
I did also boot Koppix at one point, which renamed the connection as well, to
something else which now escapes me.

I believe these names are being stored in the cable modem or at a computer on the
Telstra side of things. Thus renaming this computer to whatever is being stored. My
shell now reads [EMAIL PROTECTED], if I can impose my will on what comes after the @ I
guess everything will fall into place.

My idea was rather than renaming the conection in /etc/hosts everytime something else
gets booted plugged into the modem, to get RH9 to rename the connection when it boots
and connects it. So it's /etc/hosts will always be fine.

How did I set up the connection? I plugged the modem into the USB, installed BPA login
and from there it 'just worked' no I don't know much about it.

/etc/hosts
The 'Link' lines were added by myself after much googling, they work in as much as
they make the error messages go away on login to Gnome, which makes M & D more
comfortable.
They came from a script that was designed to update the IP address if it isn't static.
Possibly a sub-optimal solution...

there is no /etc/network/interfaces on this RH9 distro, nor is there an /etc/hostname.

I'm going to try changing /etc/sysconfig/networking/ifcfg-lo

commenting out NAME=loopback
inserting NAME="Ashburner"

So we'll see if that goes well...(just a little scary this kind of stuff, when you
have no clue, reminds me of the time I set this thing up with eth0 as a 'trusted
device' then connected it to the cable modem, D'Oh!!!)

Thanks again for your help, Patrick.
Hal