On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Voytek Eymont wrote:

> how different is OS 9, is it still *nix based ?
>
> (I just learned my Macs are Imacs using OS 9 )

OS9 and OSX are completely different to one another.  OS9 is a custom
Apple designed OS written by Apple engineers in house while OSX
of course is based on a variant of BSD UNIX.

They really have quite different kernel architectures and software
design philosophies, file metadata and permission controls, memory
management (very primitive under OS9), as well as more.

OS9 is really an OS on it's own and doesn't even compare to Atari TOS
(which is really much more like DOS) or Amiga's OS.

I won't go into too much detail - you can get better info if you
search the web on Apple MacOS history.....

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
V1-37, Kingswood Campus         (+61 2) 47 360 291 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>