I'm running Damn Small Linux on my laptop. It has a script to install to Hard
Disk. Dpkg is easy to add. Download a tar.gz from the DSL homepage, untar, and
cp to some library folder. (forget the path offhand, minor detail).

Run xsetup.sh to select Xfbdev or Xvesa. My laptop, an Acer travelmate 514T
running a Celery 466MHz, seems to run fine either way. Default desktop is
fluxbox.  I prefer IceWM, but haven't succeeded in getting it going on this
machine yet.

I found it much easier to get Debian running on my laptop doing it this way,
than starting with a "pure debian" sarge CD.

Amanda.