Sydney Linux Users' Group Monthly meeting: October

   When: Friday, October 31, 6:30pm - 9:30pm
   Where: UTS Broadway (http://www.slug.org.au/events/uts.html)

   The October SLUG meeting features the all-star Annodex.net core team,
   introducing Annodex, a new format for video surfing. Also, Angus Lees
   will be taking us through mod_perl/Apache.

   As usual, SLUGlets will be running in another room during the 2nd
   half of the meeting for those who do not wish to attend the technical
   talk.
   Suggestions and offers for SLUGlets gratefully accepted by mail to
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   6:30pm: Doors Open

   6:45pm: The Usual Suspects
          Q&A - Introduction to SLUG + "What has Linux done for/to me
          lately?" + SLUG News & Discussion

   7:10pm: Vote regarding mailing list policy
          Following recent events on the SLUG mailing lists, there will
          be a formal vote to decide future policy. More details below

   7:30pm: General Talk
  Annodex.net core team introduce Annodex

   8:15pm: Break
          Refreshments in the foyer, for a small covering charge.

   8:35pm: Split into two groups for:

          + Special Interest: Angus Lees - Apache/mod_perl internals
          + SLUGlets: quick talks and discussion of Linux and Free
            Software.

   Dinner
          Dinner at Spice Boys (Indian), $20 per head.

Intro to Annodex.net

   Presenters: Conrad Parker, Silvia Pfeiffer, Andre Pang (aka The
   All-Star Annodex.net Core Team)

   Annodex media is a new format for video surfing, developed by a bunch
   of slugsy coders at CSIRO in Sydney. The format lets you do heaps of
   webby stuff with media files like deep linking, searching, querying
   and blogging. It's easy to use and it plays nicely with all your
   hardware, software and wetware: servers, proxies, databases, web
   monkeys, sysadmins, you name it, everyone loves Annodex.

   The format is based on Ogg technologies, and a BSD-licensed open
   source toolkit and full specs are available at www.annodex.net. We're
   proposing it as an open standard through the IETF and we're damn
proud
   to give sluggers a first look at it. We'll show you everything you
   need to get going with Annodex on Linux -- how to get surfing with
it,
   how to create cool content, and the basics of dynamically generating
   video and managing media files.

Apache/mod_perl

   Angus Lees will be taking us through Apache/mod_perl internals
   in depth.

   "mod_perl is more than CGI scripting on steroids. It is a whole new
   way to create dynamic content by utilizing the full power of the
   Apache web server to create stateful sessions, customized user
   authentication systems, smart proxies and much more. Yet, magically,
   your old CGI scripts will continue to work and work very fast indeed.
   With mod_perl you give up nothing and gain so much!"

Vote

   Financial SLUG members should bring their membership cards, as we'll
   be holding a vote to formalise the mailing list spam policy as per
   this motion:
   As a financial member I would like to propose a motion for the
   nextmeeting that we vote on the slug mailing list.a) Leaving it
alone.
   b) Moving to a moderated list.c) Changing it to a members only
list.d)
   Changing it to a financial members only list.Option b) will revert to
   an a) unless we have at least 3 volunteers for a guaranteed 12
months.

--
Jan Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>