On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Brad Kowalczyk wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> Do you have a phone on the same line?
>
> I was suffering a similar problem with my dialup account (it was
> disconnecting after about 20 min all the time). I discovered that
> apparently some older touch-tone telephones can cause enough
> interference on the line to cause a disconection. After I removed my
> telephone from the double adapter I was using to split the phone line I
> had no problems.

This was actually very well known back in the days Before The Internet
[I.E. BBS days}.

The original series of Telstra's "Touchphone 200" recharged its internal
memory battery from the phone line by - you guessed it - pulling a certain
voltage from the line at an interval of every 20 minutes - regardless of
the fact that the line was in use or not.

This wasn't generally a problem for voice calls - but for data calls, it
meant disconnection every time.

The solution was to unplug the T200 while making a data call.

Later versions have {the ones with the raised buttons as opposed to the
flat membrane type buttons}, supposedly, had the problem corrected.

DaZZa