> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 18:28, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Hi Sluggers:
>>
>> For some reason if I have cron setup like this the script does not do
>> anything:
>>
>> hh mm * * * /usr/bin/perl /path_to_script/scriptname.pl > /dev/null
>> 2>&1
>
> There is a subtle difference with root crons.
>
> are you anacron or is your computer on full time?

[Louis] This is a web servers that always runs.

>> When I remove the "> /dev/null 2>&1" cron finally executes what I want
>> the script to do.
>
> What output did it give you?  Normally this will not affect the outcome
> like this.

[Louis] The script is suppose to update some files and also sends some
output to the display. I know that "> /dev/null >> 2>&1" will not display
anything to the screen. But after looking into it it also revealed that
the files that should be updated were not.

Removing it shows the display I have in the script and also updates the
files I wanted updated.

So does this mean there is something in the script that's doing this ?

Cheers.