From: Andrew Bennetts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 4 November 2003 3:25 PM
To: Sydney Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [SLUG] No more Red Hat Linux support after April 30 2004 -
QuickSurvey

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 03:11:51PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 15:07, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> > While it's got a new name and a more open development process than
> > Red Hat Linux, as I understand it it's still essentially the same
> > system, so I'm curious as to why Red Hat Linux becoming Fedora is a
> > reason to switch to Debian?
>
> Debian has 10 years experience at community driven linux. Red Hat has
> none. (Well, not -quite- true. But close enough).

On the other hand, Red Hat's engineering team is still involved in
producing Fedora, they're just opening up the development process to
non-Red Hat contributors as well (or so it seems from reading
http://fedora.redhat.com/).  It reminds me of how Mozilla was developed
until quite recently.

So my guess was that people would've looked at Fedora as being like Red
Hat Linux, only better... but judging from responses from actual Red Hat
users, that's not necessarily the case.  Just goes to show how little
this Debian user knows about Red Hat ;)

-Andrew.