On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Lyle Chapman wrote:

> I have a small script that monitors a particular folder and then
> forwards files for printing, can anybody show me how to suppress error
> messages and only display certain messages like "Looking for files to
> print" and "Files found! Preparing to print" or something along those
> lines and make it loop forever?

For the lines that are printing errors to the monitor, put in
2>/dev/null at the end of the line.

Basically this directs error messages to the universal garbage bin
(/dev/null) while putting other messages out to the screen.

You can test that a command has executed correctly by looking at
the value of $?. If there were no errors then it returns 0.
You could use this to determine whether to print the messages
Files Found! etc. etc.

If I understand you correctly you could do something like:-

ls/home/user/workflow/Proofers/A4/*.pdf  2>/dev/null
if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Files Found!!"
    lp -d brothers /home/user/workflow/Proofers/A4/*.pdf  2>/dev/null
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
        echo "Files Printed!!"
    fi
fi