Not sure but it looks to me like something's deliberately killing the
connection. Have you got it set to 'ondemand' by any chance? this would be
a bad idea for most people's ADSL since we're not time charged.

Also, generally speaking make the connection profile simple and write a
keepalive script along the lines of:-

#!/bin/bash
while [ 0 ]; do
        # can we reach something that's usually reliable
        OK=`ping -c5 -w1 mail.isp.com.au`
        if [ "x$OK" = "x" ]; then
                # no? are we sure?
                # try some other thing pretty reliable
                OK=`ping -c5 -w5 ns1.isp.com.au`
                if [ "x$OK" = "x" ]; then
                        # still can't reach it
                        # ensure the connection is killed off
                        adsl-stop &
                        sleep 30
                        # if adsl-stop got stuck, kill pppd to help
                        killall pppd
                        sleep 5
                        # kill with extreme predjudice to be sure
                        killall -9 pppd
                        sleep 2
                        # fire it up
                        adsl-start &
                fi
        fi
        # wait 5 mins before checking again
        # while testing you can kill <pid-of-sleep>
        sleep 300
done
# never gets out of this loop

start the script with:-
/usr/local/sbin/keepalive </dev/null >>/var/log/keepalive.log 2>&1 &
EG in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I usually get quite elaborate with my keepalive scripts that automatically
switch between ADSL & modem dialup backup.

--
Electronic Hobbyist, Former Arcadia BBS nut, Occasional nudist,