I posted this request a couple of weeks ago but never saw a reply nor my
original message. I checked the archives and don't see it there either.

I recently unplugged a cable from my Linux box. The other end of the
cable was still plugged into the eth0 NIC my Linux box running 2.4.2-2
of the kernel. My first indication that something was wrong was that I
got a huge bill from my ISP for excessive traffic. Investigation showed
that the NETDEV WATCHDOG was timing out on eth0. The ISP said there was
traffic being sent out to the internet everytime this timeout occurred
so I soon reached my upload quota.

The ISP said it was seemingly sending packets to random IP addresses,
which their logs showed. Does anyone have a clue as to what is actually
happening here. This one is hard for me to believe.

Regards