On 25/11/2003, at 5:21 PM, Four Star Computing Services wrote:

I have a network that has just put in a SAMBA server.
Debian woody, stable distro installed
They are now complaining of the system running slower than before.

Previous set-up was Win2kPro workstation sharing the PRM file
with 6 users while being used as a client.

I had almost exactly the same issue a few months back. I thonk it was smb2 to start with but unfortunately now i can't remember exactly what it was that solved the problem - but i'm running v3 now and it's working fine. fyi my smb.conf globals looks like this:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = File Server
allow trusted domains = No
passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
unix password sync = Yes
log level = 2
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u
logon script = %U.bat
logon drive = H:
domain logons = Yes
enhanced browsing = No
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
hosts allow = 192.168.1., 192.168.200., 192.168.0.15
hide files = /Network Trash Folder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/

..now the only problem is that users smb passwords are expiring every month and i can't find any documentation about it at all. but that's another story..

cheers,
..S.